function make_vars($result)
  {
    $fields = mysql_num_fields($result);
    if ($myrow = mysql_fetch_array($result)){

    for ($i=0; $i < $fields; ++$i){ // >
    $names = mysql_fieldname($result,$i);
    global $$names;
    $$names = $myrow[$names];
    }
        return true;
    }else{
        return false;

This is just a jump-start towards your goal. Just pass a result (not the
resulting array) and it will both fetch the array and convert it to global
variables. This is free software code - unfortunately I have no copyright data
on it, so please drop me a line if you know who the author is (the function is
included in a software product we're due to release and I'd like to include the
proper credentials if possible).

HTH

Bogdan