On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 12:11:02 +0800, you wrote:

>On Tuesday 29 January 2002 06:36, Floyd Baker wrote:
>
>> Yes I have a c:\tmp directory and I see the session being created in
>> it.  And the page_view value of 1 after the first increment.  The
>> editor wants to reload each time I hit the submit button after that
>> but the value does not increase beyond 1.  It is also the same session
>> each time.  No new sessions are being created.
>>
>> I have turned on the log and keep getting undefined_variables for
>> those two lines in each page that call $page_view before it's
>> incremented, unless I am engaging the $_SESSION call.  Then
>> $table_view becomes 1 and there are no errors.  But the incremented
>> value doesn't hold up.
>>
>> Almost like nothing is happening.., except the *editor* thinks there
>> is something going on when looking at the session file??  Like a one
>> is being loaded each time.  How could that be?  Or the original one is
>> staying even though an overwrite is being attempted.
>
>Here's an interesting snippet from the manual:
>
>The track_vars and register_globals configuration settings influence how the
>session variables get stored and restored.
>
>Note: As of PHP 4.0.3, track_vars is
>     always turned on.
>
>If track_vars is enabled and register_globals is disabled, only members of
>the global associative array $HTTP_SESSION_VARS can be registered as session
>variables. The restored session variables will only be available in the array
>    $HTTP_SESSION_VARS.
>
>Try the simple example in the manual:
>
><?php
>session_register("count");
>$_SESSION["count"]++;
>echo "Count is " . $_SESSION["count"];
>?>
>
>> Now I have uploaded these scripts to my isp and they do not work up
>> there either.  That is, using his ini, his php 4.0 with
>> register_globals on, etc.  Could you perhaps test these scripts on
>> your machine or create an 'accumulating' routine of your own that
>> works?   So I can see where the difference might be coming in?
>
>Your original scripts with the changes I suggested works on my system.

This is what I am seeing now using your code above.

The increment works when done directly into the session register but
when done on the page, it does not get applied.  I am incrementing
both ways in succession and reloading.  These are the results I get on
each reload.

Register    Page
   1         1-2

   2         2-3

   3         3-4

   4         4-5
or similar.

Any changes done outside the register just do not get recorded into
the register.  They must be done in the register itself.

Many thanks again Jason.  That was a good one.   I am off and looking
for the next problem now.

Floyd