Hi folks!

To end the discussion of how my posting has to be understood, I will
further explain my idea:
In Germany there's a web-space provider called 1&1 puretec
(http://www.puretec.de/). They offer a feature called @-domain:
Every time a user enters something like
    http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/path/to/file.ending,

"username" is mapped to a directory one can define. Thus, the name
@-domain. The provider I'm talking of uses some JavaScript code
similiar to this to achieve the redirection:
    <script language="JavaScript">
        var s = location.href.substring(0, location.href.indexOf("@"));
        if (s.substring(0, 7).toLowerCase() == "http://";);
            s = s.substring(7);
        location.replace(s + "/index.html");
    </script>

This will effectively map "username" to "./username/index.html" or
- to be more precise - to "/path/to/username/index.html", since
we are already in "/path/to/file.ending". This way, one can construct
some HTTP-address like this
    http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

and use some email-account like this:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

That would be cool since you only have to cut & paste the
URL to the "To:"-field of your email-client...

Sorry, I didn't know @-domains didn't go international, yet.
I was just looking for a way to do this using PHP, but since
"username" isn't actually sent, unless you use "WWW-Authenticate",
it should be a quite impossible thing to do.

Question: Does anybody know a way to prevent the browsers
login-dialog - you could then catch "username" using
$PHP_AUTH_USER (or similiar) and redirect as appropriate?
Another problem: can I use a blank password for authentication?
That would effectively mean @-domains...

Regards,

--
Christian

don't hesitate - email me with your thoughts:
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 - please remove the ".nospam" from address.