Sourceforge has a bit on this, too. Basically, they have a checkbox that
lets you drop out of SSL after you login, so your username and password
aren't sent over the wire in plaintext. However, after that, everything is
plaintext, no SSL at all. Useful if you want to keep your password safe
during transmission, but it sucks that everything can't be encrypted.

I haven't had any problems yet myself, but I've included that option in the
stuff I work on just in case. I'm using apache 1.3.22, PHP 4.1.1 and
mod_ssl 1.3.22. Seems to work so far, at least. (Although getting Konqueror
to work it under KDE 2.2.2 is another story...)