I've seen and successfully used the built-in function 'mkdir()' on several
occasions, but I am having trouble understanding the mode parameter.

I've seen 0771, 0775 and 0777 used on several occasions but I am never
quite sure what to use.

Since I write and normally run scripts on a Windows platform (NT WorkStation
SP5), I'm pretty sure it does not affect me, but I would like my code to run
without modification on a *nix platform.

So, can anyone explain the mode parameter for me please?

As a slight side note - can these permissions be applied to files - if so,
when (and how) would it be done?

--
Alan McFarlane