These are actually the *nix access rights of the directory or file.  What you see is
actually an octal bitmask: the first octal digit (or "odgit"!) applies to the file or
directory's owner, the second to all users in the same group as the owner, and the
third to all other users.  In each case, the odgit is made up by adding together the
following bitmask values:

    4: read permitted
    2: write permitted
    1: file can be executed; directory can be searched

so a "mode" of 0750, for example, says that the owner has all rights, other users
belonging to the same group have read and execute/search, and everyone else has none.
0777 is the most insecure setting as it gives everyone all rights!

> As a slight side note - can these permissions be applied to
> files - if so,
> when (and how) would it be done?

Permissions are generally inherited from the parent directory if not explicitly set --
so you might set permissions on a file, for example, if you want it to be read-only in
a directory that is itself set to allow read/write permissions.

Cheers!

Mike

Beckett Park, LEEDS,  LS6 3QS,  United Kingdom
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]