Erik:

thank for answering my first question:
> the word "file" indicates that this is represented by an entity in a
> filesystem -- thus, it would be saved to a server.

now let me rephrase the second part.  what i meant to say was the following:

can i insert the actual file (i.e. "document.txt", of course with it
contents) into a mysql?

in other words, i don't want to read the contents of the file and insert the
contents into a field in mysql.  i want to insert the actual file into the
database.  is this possible?

thanks again in advance.

gregory