Good day,

The include/require path is relative to the filesystem as seen by the web
system user, not the web root.

It's designed this way so that you can put your include files someplace
where users can't fetch them, which is a recommended practice.

So, if your web root is /usr/local/www on your filesystem , then you could
say:

require("/usr/local/www/header/html").

If you don't put in a leading slash, it will look in the current directory.

What you were doing in your second example is asking PHP to look in the file
under your root directory.

Darren Gamble
Planner, Regional Services
Shaw Cablesystems GP