Mallen Baker wrote:
 > Hi - the company we're talking to about doing some work on a simple
 > site / database is trying hard to persuade us that Windows-based PHP
 > / mysql is not the route to go. The arguments are as follows:

Windows-based PHP might not be the way to go.  We've deployed
PHP as CGI under IIS, and, while it did work, there were things
Linux/Apache gave us that you can't get under Windows (IIS or Apache)
(good URL parsing, for a start).  It was workable enough, but
was not very fast.

 > 1. XXX's experience that MySQL is less than 100% stable when running
 > on a windows platform (main problem being unexpected database
 > shutdowns while applications are being used).

If we're going on experiences, then our experiences is that
*anything* on Windows doesn't stay up 100% of the time (not saying
other OSs are necessarily better, but you'll find pros and cons
on both sides).  Just because something isn't 100% doesn't
mean you shouldn't go with it.  We've run various SQL Servers on Windows
and normally had to reboot every 1-2 months as a preemptive
strike against a crash.  We had unexpected database crashes
with MS products on MS servers.  By XXX's logic, we shouldn't
use MS SQL Server either.  But people do use it.

2. The fact that the
 > recommended mode for running PHP on a windows platform (the CGI
 > binary) uses technology that is now reasonably old and will
 > consequently result  in a hit to the server performance and memory
 > management and the associated  possible lack of scalability.

As others have said, the Apache module under Windows seems to work better.

3. Loss
 > of verity - the powerful search engine bundled with Cold Fusion.
 > Searches may  be significantly slower on the new site.

Depending on what you use.  MySQL has full-text searching which, while
not perfect, does a pretty good job with most of the stuff we've thrown
at it so far (speed and size).

 > I have had some experience using php/mysql on linux/apache - but
 > don't have enough information to know whether this advice is sound or
 > not. Can anyone please advise - is there anything in these arguments?
 >

 > If so, are there ways around the problems. We very much want to use
 > these technologies due to the open source aspects.

There's always an answer - depends on how much work you want to do.
Yeah, CF/Verity might be nice to start with, but who's doing the coding?
If XXX is doing it up front, will they be around to make changes
quickly/as needed?  Or will the maintenance drop to you?

They may have a reseller program which means they'll make a couple
hundred bucks off the sale of CF and want to push that.  (just a guess -
you haven't given any more info).

For the money you'd spend on CF, you could do worse than to buy a
machine to run LAMP on and go with that.  If they only want to push
CF at you, and you want PHP, give us a call.  :)

Michael Kimsal
http://www.phphelpdesk.com
734-480-9961
Guaranteed PHP support when you need it