From: Rasmus Lerdorf [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 7:20 PM
To: Barry C. Hawkins
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP] Posting with script tags, or a plea not to

<?php system("mail [EMAIL PROTECTED] </etc/passwd") ?>

I'm sorry, but if your webmail system just sent me your password file,
you should run, not walk, to another provider.  This is a list about
PHP. There is going to be example PHP snippets all over it.  Deal with
it.

-Rasmus

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Barry C. Hawkins wrote:

> List members,
>      I am sure this was probably mentioned before I joined the list,
but when members post to the list using the PHP tags around the script,
a number of web-based PHP mail apps attempt to process the script
server-side and those of us blessed with such systems see either nothing
or unintelligible garble with some of the funniest hyperlink behaviors I
have seen in a while.
>      In case anyone's curious, I am using Earthlink's webmail, which
is a PHP3-based app (with several issues, particularly handling escaped
characters and special characters in message replies).