BBEdit is by far one of the best basic text editors I have ever seen on
any platform. I use 6.1 (waiting on for an upgrade), and it runs OK on
10.1.4. It would be great to see some tight PHP environment to work in,
but I have yet to see it.

All BBEdit needs is some sort of ProjectBuilder style integration with
PHP to make it great.

In fact with MacOS 10.x you can put most production applications
(Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc..) on your local machine and make it quite
powerful for testing and development.

jess.