The problem is not in them being able to overwrite the .htaccess *and*
getting your FTP password.. those are the cons for both solutions we
have presented, respectfully.

Right now the ideal solution seems to be this:

save new .htaccess to a temp file
save new .htpasswd to a temp file
use PHP's FTP routines to connect to the FTP server with your
username/password
delete existing .htaccess
delete existing .htpasswd
upload new .htaccess
upload new .htpasswd
close connection

The biggest problem with this is that you have your FTP password in
plain text in the script that performs this. If anyone for any reason is
able to take advantage of some kind of exploit that allows them to view
the source of that file, you're toast. They get ahold of your FTP
password and have free reign on your website.

I'm open to suggestions.