another solution would be to by a cellular modem, which can be set up on the
windows/*nix machine and used to relay the message.

If not - depending on where you are based - some mobile providers do let you interface
with their sms devices.

You could also have a look at - OpenSMS from www.livesoup.com - not tried it
personally tho!