Each to their own, but I believe sessions will make it easier for you to
"know" who they are from page to page, for example when they post into a
forum or ask a question, it's all based on their user id.

FWIW, photocopying more than 10% of a book is breech of copyright as well...
even if it was in a library, so I don't like your chances.

To get started with sessions, I'd look at Kevin Yank's article on
sitepoint.com, but it uses cookies, and isn't exactly what you're after, but
it's been the basis of my entire session library.

Justin French