Thanks. Here is what I did for future reference.

    <select name = "departments">
    <option value = ''> -- Select a Department -- </option>

    <?

    $connection = mysql_connect( "127.0.0.1", "username", "password") or die
("Could not connect");

    $db = mysql_select_db ("asset") or die ("Could not connect");

    $sql = "select department_name from Departments";

    $sql_result = mysql_query($sql,$connection) or die ("Could not
connect");

    while($row = mysql_fetch_array($sql_result))
    {
        $department = $row["department_name"];
        echo "<option value = '$department'>$department</option>";

    }
    ?>

    </select>