I'm not sure if Apache will recursively process documents this way (Perl script ->
HTML output with embedded PHP -> parsed PHP), but what about adding this HTTP header
to your PERL script's output before the HTML/PHP code:

That way Apache would (in theory) know know that the PERL script's output should be
parsed by PHP.

-Andy