Of course.  Btw... You aren't running into a PHP limitation.  You're
experiencing an issue of programming design and how to integrate different
technologies.  If anything, Apache is what's limiting you, because of the
order of presedence in how it processes files.

>From what you've said, you want the order of processing to flow like this:

CGI/PERL => PHP => SSI => HTML => End-User

.
.
.

If I had a CGI script outputing PHP/SSI code that needed to be processed,
I'd probably grab it using fopen and run it through eval.

For fun, let's start a PHP vs PERL discussion.  PHP doesn't have the
overhead of spawning and forking the additional processes associated with
running CGI scripts.  That makes PHP faster.  As I understand, PHP has all
the functionality of PERL, but in a way that's more integrated with the web
server.  I also believe PHP has functionality lacking in PERL, but I don't
know PERL well enough to make this claim myself - anyone care to elaborate
on this?  Basically, web development is fairly specific.  PERL may be a very
good language, but PHP is superior in the area of web development.  Anyone
else have feedback on which is better and why?

-Ed