I think you add square brackets:
<input name='labtype[]' type='checkbox' value='Hepb_ag'>

so you'd have an array with a numeric key (0-n) and the value of the key
would be the value of the input.

or perhaps you'd prefer
<input name='labtype[Hepb_ag]' type='checkbox' value='1'>

in this case the key of the array would be 'Hepb_ag', and the value would be
true (1).

In both cases, I don't think anything is set for false values... ie, if 3
out of 5 checkboxes are ticked, the array will have 3 items, not 5.

Justin