You got to be kidding me!!!!  I use similar code and a sample of yours and I
got just about the same error message as what Jeff Bluemel got.  I checked
the PHP Info and it showed that I had the libmcrypt accepted but no
supported ciphers.  Then I posted two seperate unanswered posting until I
stumpled onto this.

I did not understand why mcrypt is required along with the libmcrypt.
Libmcrypt is just an combination of mcrypt and extra stuffs.  The url,
php.net/mcrypt said to use libmcrypt and it mentioned of no mcrypt.  So, it
was no wonder I had problem.  Now I know I did not ask the right question in
the PHP newsgroup.  I am glad to see a solution to this problem.  Thank you
for the responses and your solution to the problem as it help with Jeff
Bluemel, it now helped me too.  Thank you!

FletchSOD

P.S. Do I compile mcrypt before libmcrypt or is it the other way around?