For SIMPLE SIMPLE selects and inserts, MySQL will probably remain
faster.  If you are doing a very simple web set up where you are mostly
inserting and spitting out single table information, MySQL will be the
way to go.

Anything else, I would recommend PostgreSQL. It's got FAR superior
features and anytime you start very complex queries ( like JOINS and
multi-table aggregate functions, etc ) postgres will blow MySQL out of
the water.

They are both nice, just for different purposes. MySQL = simple,
PostgreSQL = anything else.

Also, you can run "EXPLAIN <query>" on PostgreSQL to find out exactly
what is happening when you do a query and if it's using an index
properly or not.

regards,
dan