Well, in Linux (if you're using X) we have "key bindings" and "dead
keys", that allow you to create combinations of keypresses that are
translated into special characters. For example, since I sometimes write
in Italian and need accented letters, I have programmed my X so that if
I press the left Windows key and then a vowel I get the acute accented
version of that vowel. Same thing with the right Windows key, except
that it produces grave accents. I only use the Windows keys because I
have a MS natural keyboard and those two keys are pretty much useless on
Linux, so they come in handy as "dead" keys.

Hope this explains--it's the thirteen seconds version :-)