I'm now understanding how you can get PHP to present you with a username
and password promt just like APache would do if you had a .htaccess file
in the directory you were trying to enter. Great idea but it seems that it
would be easier to just use the .htaccess file in the directory.

 What I've been trying to find out is how to pass through a .htaccess file
if someone has already passed an database authentication lookup in PHP.

I have an area on my site "Special Publications" where users login and
their username and password is checked against a MySQL database. One field
in their user records is the URL to their directory on our server. Each
one of these directories is protected via .htaccess. What I would really
like to do is have them redirected to their URL if they pass
authentication and not have them enter their username and password again.
Is their a way to do this?

Thanks,

Ed