On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 18:26, Justin French wrote:
> on 26/11/02 2:41 AM, Brian V Bonini ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> > Also, try to use relative sizes, if you use fixed sized like 10pt. you
> > will have size discrepancies on different platforms. If you use a
> > relative scheme like 12px it will render more consistently....
>
> 12px is NOT a relative size, and will mean that users with vision
> impairment, etc etc will have trouble resizing the text to suit their
> preferences... The relative sizes are things like "small".
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/fonts.html#propdef-font-size

px is obviously a relative unit (relative to the users screen) unless
your going to try to say everyone views stuff at the same dpi. It's late
so perhaps I'm missing it but I do not see anywhere in the spec that you
cited where it says px is absolute. However I will quote loosely from
the spec: "values with relative units (em, ex, px) must be made absolute
by multiplying with the appropriate font or pixel size,"

So, go ahead and try what I suggested THEN tell me it's not right. Using
px WILL make it more consistent across win, linux, mac, etc.. and will
not inhibit the browsers ability to enlarge the text size at all...

> > BTW: I bet you'd find the same issues if you looked at your pages on a
> > MAC as well...
>
> You'd have the same problems on any computer where the user has fiddled with
> the default font settings.

No, the problem he stated was the inconsistency of sizes on different
platforms. A totally addressable issues regardless of what the user has
done with the default font settings.