Would someone be kind enough to explain why I'm not getting the correct
result from the following query.  If I select a valid member no. and name,
the following query should return 1 row.  This is not the case, however.  It
returns zero rows.

$sql = "SELECT  * FROM users WHERE member_no = '$member_no' and
name = ' $name' ";
$result = mysql_query($sql) or die ("Cannot verify the member");
$rows = mysql_num_rows($result);
echo "rows = $rows<br>";

Furthermore when trying the following query where the table "users" contains
13 rows, the query returns only 12 rows.

$sql = "SELECT  * FROM users";
$result = mysql_query($sql) or die ("Cannot verify the member");
$rows = mysql_num_rows($result);
echo "rows = $rows<br>";

Conclusion: mysql_num_rows seems to be returning one less row than exists.
Is this correct?

Thanks in advance

Roger Lewis