I have to write a swath of code to manage system-related stuff based on
database content.  Scripts will be run as root by cron, and determine
what they have to do via user interaction and SQL lookups.  Functions
will include manipulation of system configuration files, legacy text
file configs, and some signalling with posix_kill.  On some of the
machines in question, there won't even be an httpd installed, so I'd be
building a php as a standalone binary, and running it with shell magic
and a -q option.  I've done this kind of stuff in the past in smaller
environments, and it seems to work nicely.

I'm more comfortable writing stuff in PHP.  I use PHP alot more, and I
find the resultant code more readable and easier to maintain.  Aside
from Perl's ubiquity and the dubious advantage of future flexibility by
using Perl's DBI interface to talk to different SQL servers (I'm using
MySQL at the moment), are there any compelling reasons I should write
system stuff in Perl rather than PHP?

Thanks.

--
  Paul Chvostek                                             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  Operations / Abuse / Whatever