I'm more comfortable writing stuff in PHP.  I use PHP alot more, and I
find the resultant code more readable and easier to maintain.  Aside
from Perl's ubiquity and the dubious advantage of future flexibility by
using Perl's DBI interface to talk to different SQL servers (I'm using
MySQL at the moment), are there any compelling reasons I should write
system stuff in Perl rather than PHP?
If you have complicated tasks there may be more Perl examples on the internet, and that would be a vote for Perl. But then again, i once tried to translate Perl to PHP and that was unexpectedly easy. Except for the crypt() function which turned out to be different.