Paul Chvostek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote... :

> I have to write a swath of code to manage system-related stuff based on
> database content.  Scripts will be run as root by cron, and determine
> what they have to do via user interaction and SQL lookups.  Functions
> will include manipulation of system configuration files, legacy text
> file configs, and some signalling with posix_kill.  On some of the
> machines in question, there won't even be an httpd installed, so I'd be
> building a php as a standalone binary, and running it with shell magic
> and a -q option.  I've done this kind of stuff in the past in smaller
> environments, and it seems to work nicely.

PHP can easily do all that, probably even easier that with Perl. Perl is
somewhat too painful to write scripts in. For my needs, i whether use
PHP or Ruby for stand-alone apps. Ruby is less flexible than PHP but its
"pure" OOP and I often need to resort to it.

> I'm more comfortable writing stuff in PHP.  I use PHP alot more, and I
> find the resultant code more readable and easier to maintain.

You answered yourself again - if you are more comfortable with PHP then
why hassle with painful Perl?

> Aside
> from Perl's ubiquity and the dubious advantage of future flexibility by
> using Perl's DBI interface to talk to different SQL servers (I'm using
> MySQL at the moment), are there any compelling reasons I should write
> system stuff in Perl rather than PHP?

PHP natively works quite well with mySQL, thus its another reason to use
it.

--
Maxim Maletsky
[EMAIL PROTECTED]