i think one of us misunderstood your posting ...

my suggestion was simply to put a php script in your crontab to be run
whenever you set it to go .. if you are writing a php script to update
crontab for you as Liam understood your message it is not a good idea (
actually it's a really bad idea :) )

but running a php script versus a bash or perl or whatever
script/program is no more a concern than those ( always have security in
mind )

--
Jimmy Brake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>