Question #78737 on phpns changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/phpns/+question/78737

alecwh proposed the following answer:
SkinnerG,

While I would like to make it simple for you, I cannot. I added that
feature to $phpns['sef'] because I was aware that you could achieve
something like what you want. I don't know very much about mod_rewrite,
so, do some research.

>From my understanding, there is something you can do with variables,
such as $1 and $2, which would represent different areas of the URL
given, and you can redirect to a script with those variables. Check
Phpns's recommended .htaccess (provided in the admin section under "SEF
URLs" in Preferences), and I'm sure that will give you an idea.

Your PHP script will look like this:

<?php
$phpns["sef"] = 'hardware/'
include(...)
?>

and then use a 'software/', etc. or whatever for your other includes.

Good luck.

Phpns-team, which is an answer contact for phpns.