Matthew, one more thing I'd like to add to this discussion, which struck
me as I was listening to Brian Shire's excellent presentation at php|tek
(http://tekrat.com/wp/talks/phptek2007/[EMAIL PROTECTED]). There are
already several caching solutions for php, in particular APC, also
memcache and some proprietary ones, including Zend's. APC is mature and
very configurable. So IMHO when SCA needs to cache some data, it should
be checking to see if something suitable is installed, and exploiting
it, not inventing something unnecessarily.

I realise this won't help directly with the problem here, because the
model must be cached within the SDO extension rather than in SCA,
because of the Tuscany dependency, but I just wanted to record this in
case it's useful in the future.