Told you so: http://groups.google.com/group/phpsoa/msg/11a5c7ea4f6dd260 :-)

> I will open a JIRA.

You'll have noticed that Pete has provided fixes for
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-1564 and
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-1566. These do fix up the
generated xml in the way you describe, and it is probably now valid.

However I am still getting the 400 status code (with no error message)
from the atompub server. I think the code in question just can't cope
with not having a default namespace - it likes:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<entry xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";
        xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom";>
<author>
   <name>Caroline Maynard</name>
</author>
</entry>

but dislikes:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<tns:entry xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";
            xmlns:tns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom";>
<tns:author>
   <tns:name>Caroline Maynard</tns:name>
</tns:author>
</tns:entry>

It may non-compliant - and I can try raising this as a problem - but it
probably isn't the only server in the world to work like this.