Hi Graham,

I was trying to stay away form the WS-Policy/SecurityPolicy words :).
That is in-line with my thoughts, but think (at least to start off)
that something simpler should be implemented.
The WS-* tends to be a bit complicated for developers and PHP is meant
to be simple. That doesn't mean looking at the SCA Policy
implementation is out of the question, just something that probably
should be held off until at least there is some simple mechanism in
place that should be able to handle many of the common cases. This is
where I was going with the:
$policy = array('local_cert'=>'/usr/...', 'passphrase'=>'123');
SCA::setPolicy($policy);

/**
 * @service
 * @binding.soap
 * @options True
 */

If options is true then the service would check and use any options
that were set via the setPolicy (or whatever name given) method. It
might also be good to make them binding specific, so the array would
be something like:
$policy = array('soap'=>array('local_cert'=>..., 'passphrase'=>...));
so that options for multiple bindings can be set and leveraged.

Similar functionality could also be used for the confidentiality
example you had laid out. *HOWEVER*, this would not be as flexbile as
dealing with WS-Policy/SecurityPolicy and be limited to specific
functionality. (i.e. if signing a document, you can specify body,
headers, but not target specific subsets).
An implementation like this should solve at least 80%-90% of the use
cases and still be simple enough for the average developer to use
without having to learn all the WS-* intricacies.

Another example: adding username token - implementation really
dependant upon wether this would be its own annotation or if a single
annotation is used and they are grouped by binding.
i.e structure:
array(bindingname=>array(optionname=>array(options)));
bindingname - binding that uses the options (maps to the
@binding.bindingname annotation)
optionname - something that SCA understands and uses that to set the
options for
options - name/value pairs that SCA uses within the context of
optionname

exmaple:

$token = array('soap'=>array('usernametoken'=>array('username'=>'rob',
'password'=>'123456')));
SCA::setPolicy($token);

this would mean that for the soap binding, send a username token with
the username/password combination.
re-writing my origional case:
$policy = array('soap'=>array('options'=>array('local_cert'=>...,
'passphrase'=>...)));
for the soap binding, set the soap constructor options with the
following name/value pairs..

Now going forward after something like the above is implemented,
depending upon need, then something more robust can be implemented,
although might not really be needed just for the sake of the few who
might actually have use for rich policies.

What do you think about something along those lines? I know there are
details that would need to be hashed out, but this is the basic idea
of how I could see it working without getting overly complex.

Rob