For the knob icon/Mac issue, you can use the test included in the link:
For the file: TestPSwingJSlider.java.  We have verified that disabling PSwing.paint's buffering resolves the problem for this issue.

The other 2 issues you identified don't seem impacted by this fix.  Also regarding
PSwing components cause extraneous redraws

I enabled PDebug.debugRegionManagement and the behavior for TestPSwingJSlider looked correct, even for slider knob areas.  So I think that ticket needs a self-contained reproducible code snippet to demonstrate the problem before more work should be done on that.

I also noticed that the buffering is causing components to look fuzzy; I created issue 83 to track this, and included screenshots (and a version of PSwing.java that skips buffering).

Let me know what you think,
Sam Reid

Michael Heuer wrote:
Samuel Robert Reid wrote:

My group and I have found that the buffering in PSwing.paint can cause
rendering problems, such as the slider knob doesn't render on OS X 10.5
(if there are ticks or labels on the slider).  Also, I don't see the
advantage of buffering in PSwing.paint, since the intermediate buffer is
directly rendered to the screen anyways.  It seems like drawing directly
to the Graphics2D in the PPaintContext would be faster, rather than
drawing to a new buffered image then drawing that to the Graphics2D.
Any reasons we shouldn't remove this layer of buffering?

Is there a particular example or test case that we could use to
compare the two implementations on different platforms?

There are several related issues:

PSwing components cause extraneous redraws

PSwing doesn't work with certain swing components (tooltips,
drop-downs, scrollbars (on mouse off), etc.)

JSlider fails to render knob icon under Intel Macs in Java 1.5

Is the latter one fixed with your suggested change?

   michael