Hi Alex,

If I comment out the "export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4" and try to
(cd simul/gl; make) on my old PPC Mac (with OSX 10.4.11), I get this:

gcc -c -O -pipe \
-falign-functions -fomit-frame-pointer \
-W -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wunused -Wformat \
-Wuninitialized -Wstrict-prototypes \
-D_GNU_SOURCE  -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  gl.c
gcc -o ../../lib/gl -dynamiclib -undefined dynamic_lookup -framework GLUT gl.o ld: flag: -undefined dynamic_lookup can't be used with MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET environment variable set to: 10.1
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
make: *** [../../lib/gl] Error 1

It fails to build glu.o and glut.o. However, if it builds all three files on Intel Macs, we could probably leave that line commented out. I'll try it on my Intel Mac tomorrow evening.

/Jon

Hi Jon,

 I'm not sure what you mean by "added Os optimization level". Could

It might make sense to write

        gcc -c -Os -pipe \

instead of

        gcc -c -O -pipe \

meaning "optimize for space".

It is usually hard to decide what optimization level to use.

The picoLisp Makefile currently uses "-O2". I tried "-O3" (supposed to
optimize even more than "-O2"), but found that GCC produced buggy code
for that.

I think that for the purpose of the OpenGL library, the optimization
level will not matter, because most processing is done in the library
anyway.

Concerning the MacOS target of 10.4, however, it seems that it is
harmful considering portability, and not really needed. Is this
correct?

Cheers,
Alex
--