Alexander Burger wrote:
 Hi Cle,

Hi Alexander,

(...)

 I see. The unit tests are a little special. As they need a
 well-defined environment to operate correctly, they have to be
 started in a certain way. It is written as a comment in the 5th line
 of "lib/test.l":

 # $(/bin/pwd)/p lib/test.l -bye

 This makes sure that 'Home' has a value that suits later tests which
 compare with the result of (pwd).

urghs! I had seen this line, but I somehow totally ignored the $(pwd) hint! Sorry for the noise I made. :-(

(...)

 Not wrong, but they would be useful only in the context of these
 unit tests. In that sense, the unit tests are the problem, not the
 system itself.

Yeah I could verify this now ... still much to learn about picoLisp for me, I guess :-}

(...)

> But in test/src/net.l you fork a child process while dealing with
> that port. And as my MacBoot is a dual core, those processes get
> executed in parallel probably. So it may be, that the test in
> test/src/net.l was alread passes, but the port was still hold by
> the child, when test/lib.l tried to open it. So it failed. This is
> only a hypothesis, though ...

 Ah, right! This might be the problem. The child process in
 "test/src/net.l" sleeps for 400 milliseconds before it terminates.
 If the other tests proceeded meanwhile, we might get a conflict.

 So I will follow your suggestion and change these ports.

 I uploaded a new "picoLisp.tgz". If you have time, please check if
 the situation is improved.

I have done so and I now can confirm, that you newest picoLisp will pass all unit tests under Snow Leopard (Intel), Leopard (PPC) and NetBSD (Intel) with flying colors :-)

Only a small hint worth noting though, if building for NetBSD, one has to ensure, that 'gmake' is used instead of the binary 'make' that will *not* be GNU Make but some BSD make, which cannot work with those Makefile ...

Thanks for your quick fixes ...

(...)

Ciao,
Cle.

--------------030009030601050802030004

<head>
</head>
Alexander Burger wrote:<br>
Hi Alexander,<br>
special. As they need a<br>
&gt; well-defined environment to operate correctly, they have to be<br>
&gt; started in a certain way. It is written as a comment in the 5th
line<br>
&gt; of "lib/test.l":<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; # $(/bin/pwd)/p lib/test.l -bye<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; This makes sure that 'Home' has a value that suits later tests
which <br>
&gt; compare with the result of (pwd).<br>
urghs! I had seen this line, but I somehow totally ignored the $(pwd)
hint! Sorry for the noise I made. :-(<br>
useful only in the context of these<br>
&gt; unit tests. In that sense, the unit tests are the problem, not the<br>
&gt; system itself.<br>
Yeah I could verify this now ... still much to learn about picoLisp for
me, I guess :-}<br>
a child process while dealing with<br>
&gt;&gt; that port. And as my MacBoot is a dual core, those processes
get<br>
&gt;&gt; executed in parallel probably. So it may be, that the test in<br>
&gt;&gt; test/src/net.l was alread passes, but the port was still hold
by<br>
&gt;&gt; the child, when test/lib.l tried to open it. So it failed.
This is<br>
&gt;&gt; only a hypothesis, though ...<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Ah, right! This might be the problem. The child process in <br>
&gt; "test/src/net.l" sleeps for 400 milliseconds before it terminates.<br>
&gt; If the other tests proceeded meanwhile, we might get a conflict.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; So I will follow your suggestion and change these ports.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I uploaded a new "picoLisp.tgz". If you have time, please check if<br>
&gt; the situation is improved.<br>
I have done so and I now can confirm, that you newest picoLisp will
pass all unit tests under Snow Leopard (Intel), Leopard (PPC) and
NetBSD (Intel) with flying colors :-)<br>
Only a small hint worth noting though, if building for NetBSD, one has
to ensure, that 'gmake' is used instead of the binary 'make' that will
*not* be GNU Make but some BSD make, which cannot work with those
Makefile ...<br>
Thanks for your quick fixes ...<br>
(...)<br>
Ciao,<br>