Well if I take myself for instance, I'm what you would call a
traditional reader. I collect feeds of high quality sources and
categorize/tag them, for instance into Travel, Programming, News and
so on.

The main reason for doing this (as supposed to getting email alerts
when a site has updated from for instance Google) is that I have
everything in one place and I can see what I've already read and
what's new. In short, it helps me make cut through to exactly the
information I want and enables me to get to it effortlessly, I
couldn't manage without an RSS reader anymore. Since the application
is that important I felt like I needed to create it myself in order to
have total control over it.

And then there are special feeds, like for instance Twitter where I
get most of my real time information from various agents that tweet
news, like the NY Times science twitter account for instance:

Finally there are the meta feeds which are aggregations, I have a few
of these but not many, for instance the Yahoo LISP pipe:

Finding the feeds are usually not hard, often sites have explicit
icons or links you can click to go to the url of the feed/xml, when
you have it you simply add it in your reader. Firefox also displays
the feed icon in the address field if it detects a tag that for
instance looks like this in the content:

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="ProDevTips -
dev notes and tutorials RSS Feed"
href="http://feeds.feedburner.com/prodevtips/LVkG"; />