But how is it different or better compared to emacs/gnus with nnrss and
> nnshimbun backends?
>
> And do you really find web interface more usable?

Probably not different or better but I want this system to be accessible
irrespective of hardware and location, I want to be able to login on a
library computer running Windows to check out what's happening.

For me usability nowadays is mainly a function of response time and then the
remote server is the important thing, not the client.

What does special feeds mean?  In what sense is Twitter special?  Is it
> that you need to scrape web pages and convert them to RSS yourself?

It requires special handling to get at the content, it might conform to the
standards but it still requires special handling. It's also special in the
sense that it will vary on every fetch if you follow enough people. I follow
1000+ persons and am now getting realtime coverage of the situation in
Thailand from 50+ sources, VizReader updates the feed every 60 seconds and
shows only new posts in the GUI, that's how Twitter could be viewed as a
special feed.

Does vizreader create these meta feeds or does it rely on existing meta
> feeds like the yahoo link above?

It relies on them, they conform to the specs and can be read just like
original feeds, and there are probably more meta/aggregational feeds than
original feeds these days.

I find that the biggest problem (aside from having enough time for
> reading the feeds) is that lots of sites don't publish feeds.  Solving
> this somehow would be great but probably impossible.

Not really a problem, you could probably use Google (or some other entity
that has a lot of resources) to generate a meta feed for you that will give
you the updates to the site as soon as it changes even though it doesn't
have its own feed. The problem is however a pretty hard one to solve
otherwise as it would involve having VizReader poll the site in question on
a pretty frequent basis to fetch new content, I need more hardware to do
that kind of stuff :)