Hi,

I wanted to look at the old problem of building 64-bit PicoLisp on Mac OS
X. Assemblers are far from what I usually play with, but at least I'd like
to spend a few hours today on this problem.
>From what I've found on the net, I got the impression that the standard
(?) assembler on OSX is "nasm", and that the nasm versions found on Macs
are often quite old (just do "nasm -v", and you'll see). My idea then was
that it might help to install an up-to-date version. Then I wanted to
check which version I had on my Ubuntu, where I build 64-bit PicoLisp
without problem, but on my Ubuntu I found no "nasm"; here "as" (2.20.1)
seems to be the standard assembler. On Mac (OSX 10.6.7) even "as" is not
very new, I found 1.38. Maybe I should try to upgrade "as" instead of
"nasm" ... Any comments?

/Jon