Hi Jon,

> I wanted to look at the old problem of building 64-bit PicoLisp on Mac OS

Great! :)

> >From what I've found on the net, I got the impression that the standard
> (?) assembler on OSX is "nasm", and that the nasm versions found on Macs
> are often quite old (just do "nasm -v", and you'll see). My idea then was
> that it might help to install an up-to-date version. Then I wanted to

As far as I remember, the only remaining problem was not that of the
assembler, but of the linker, or, more correctly, the final output file
format.

MacOS uses a variation of the ancient "a.out" format (as opposed to ELF
in most other operating systems). The problem was that it requires
position-indpendent code. This is not a problem per se, e.g. the shared
object files "lib/ht", "lib/ext" etc. are also position-independent, and
the PowerPC-64 version I created recently uses also completely
position-independent code.

So the whole issue is mainly one of experimenting with the options for
'mkAsm' and the linker.

For 'mkAsm' (the PicoLisp generic assembler), position independent code
is switched on with the "-fpic" option (see "src64/Makefile"). I don't
remember at the moment what happened, but for some reason using "-fpic"
with the 'base' system didn't work (yet).

Using some other assembler than the GNU 'as' would involve more changes,
I'm afraid, because I expect that then the code generator will need
substantial changes.

I hope this gives you some hints to get started. We can try to tackle
this together once we find out what exactly goes wrong.