On 16-06-11 12:54 , Alexander Burger wrote:
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:02:23PM +0200, Alexander Burger wrote:
As far as I remember, the only remaining problem was not that of the
assembler, but of the linker, or, more correctly, the final output file
format.
The last time we discussed it here was:

    http://www.mail-archive.com/picolisp@software-lab.de/msg01522.html
Hi Alex,

I've now got an answer to my question at
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6384961/osx-gnu-assembler-problem-with-call-fooplt

Matthew Slattery says:

Unfortunately, I think there are at least two significant issues here:

   1. "PLT" is an ELF concept, but OS X uses a completely different
      object / executable file format - Mach-O.
   2. Apple's |as| appears to be derived from a fork of a much earlier
      version of the GNU assembler, and, in some places, the syntax
      (and command line options) are rather different from recent
      versions (even where the concepts are the same).

It looks like there has been some work on i386 and x86-64 Mach-O support quite recently in binutils <http://www.gnu.org/software/binutils/>; it might be worth investigating the most recent version (2.21). But if the generated assembly code is trying to do clever things which are ELF-specific, you're probably going to have some major problems anyway...

I think I may have to give the most recent version from binutils a try, but I'll probably have to wait until late July ...

/Jon

--------------000107050206050007090709

 <head>
   <title></title>