That JSON implementation is too simplistic which kind of reinforces my
point, writing good libs take time and for that to happen you need a
lot of users to ease the "burden" on each person, ie it's easier for
10 people to write one good lib each instead of 2 writing 5 each.

Here is for instance Clojure's version:
https://github.com/clojure/data.json/blob/master/src/main/clojure/clojure/data/json.clj

Now Clojure has more data types which makes conversion easier, PL will
need conventions which makes a JSON lib for PL something that probably
should be discussed and planned before any actual code writing takes
place which makes it an even taller order than in another more
algol-like language.

When it comes to calling Python or PHP or whatever. I don't want to do
that, invariably I end up writing more or less code in PHP if I do
that, and I end up with code in different "environments" which is hard
to maintain.

For me the point of PL is that it makes programming enjoyable, knowing
that things probably can't get much more succinct and clean. Having to
jump into the code of some external PHP dependency in the middle of
all that joy just makes me depressed.