On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 11:44:50PM +0100, Axel Svensson wrote:
> >    #Is there a better way to get an external symbol by name?
> > restriction. Another advantage of 'id' is that it doesn't depend on the
> > printed representation, i.e. you have on pil32
> Cool! I guess in this case, in reading an input stream, the
> representation dependency must be added. Below is a converter from

Or perhaps not. It doesn't matter how an external symbol appears in
printed form. After all, external symbols are usually not explicitly
read or written, except during debugging.

It is even discouraged to access an external symbol by name in an
application, because this would inhibit the garbage collector from
purging that symbol from memory (and thus all symbols referred to by
it), possibly ending up with the whole database in memory.

So I would not worry too much about printing / reading external symbol,
and just stay with the implementation's default.