Hi Jon,

> Today I upgraded the OS on my iMac to OS X 10.9.2, aka =93Mavericks=94. Aft=
> er having installed Apple=92s latest development tools, I wanted to see if =
> I could build the latest =93ongoing=94 32-bit PicoLisp. Oops, no, it didn=
> =92t work quite as well as I had hoped. Here=92s the first part of the stor=
> y:
> f3bmac3:picoLisp jkleiser$ (cd src; make)
> gcc -c -O2 -m32 -pipe -falign-functions -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-al=
> iasing -W -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wunused -Wformat -Wuninitialized -Wstri=
> ct-prototypes -D_GNU_SOURCE  -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=3D64 -D_OS=3D'"Darwin"' ma=
> in.c
> main.c:267:16: warning: using the result of an assignment as a condition wi=
> thout parentheses [-Wparentheses]
>       while (h =3D h->next);
>              ~~^~~~~~~~~
> main.c:267:16: note: place parentheses around the assignment to silence thi=
> s warning

This is a really stupid warning! Can probably easily switched off. The C
code is perfectly legal and exactly intended this way.

> main.c:711:34: error: fields must have a constant size: 'variable length ar=
> ray in structure' extension will never be
>       supported
>       struct {any sym; any val;} bnd[length(y)+2];

I don't know why Apple's development system has problems with this :(
Variable length structures are part of the C language since eons. No way
to fix this, because PicoLisp all over depends on such data structures.