andr...@itship.ch writes:

Hi,

> Have a look in lib/el in your picoLisp directory.
> Follow the instructions in @lib/el/README.txt to setup picoLisp in Emacs,
> then you have syntax highlighting and you can run picoLisp REPL within
> Emacs.
>
> I use Emacs with picolisp-mode combined with paredit.
> Paredit is really awesome to edit S-Expression code, I'm really a lot
> faster with it, it's pure joy.
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ParEdit
>
> Sometimes I use M+x hs-minor-mode to fold blocks of code together, gives a
> better overview when editing large lisp functions (installed by default).
>
> You can also work in normal the picolisp REPL Emacs-like, check out
> http://picolisp.com/wiki/?emacsStyleLed
>
> Note: a few standard functions are missing in the Emacs syntax
> highlighting, but its not really an issue.

additional to what was described already:

 - use comint-based inferior-picolisp/picolisp-mode for the "normal"
   operation modus from Emacs (Emacs is the master, picolisp a
   subprocess started by Emacs)

 - use 'emacsStyleLed' and associated emacs version of 'edit' (that
   calls emacsclient instead of vi) for the 'unix style operation modus'
   prefered by Alex: work in the pil repl and only call an editor when
   you want to edit something, i.e. the pil repl is the master and
   emacs(client) the slave

 - use picolisp src-blocks in Org-mode for literate programming

there is another very interesting option:

 - use the slime/swank approach with swank-picolisp.l by Tomas Hlavaty,
   but I don't know how many people actually succeeded in making this
   work

--
cheers,
Thorsten