I've now updated, due to time constraints I have not done the following:

1.) Linked straight to the mysql client library as I still need to call my
conn function in mysql.c, in order to get rid of it one first needs to call
mysql_init to get the connection struct, so far so good but then calling
mysql_real_connect and being able to get the updated pointer properly
requires somehow mapping the struct on line 242 in
/usr/include/mysql/mysql.h in the call, too much; didn't do that.

2.) Some kind of proper query builder, there are some helper functions in
the form of the mk*>s.

Due to time constraints I believe I'm done for now for the foreseeable
future.