On 6 March 2016 at 17:36, Alexander Burger <a...@software-lab.de> wrote:
> No, I'm only asking for a humble terminal configuration. And perhaps why
> some terminals show such asymmetric behavior.

I think this is just a case of different terminal emulators doing
things differently, since this kind of behaviour (along with a lot of
other terminal details) is not specified in any authoritative
standard.

The termcap/terminfo databases try to document which terminals support
something like this in the auto_left_margin/bw variable (see first
entry at http://www.tldp.org/LDP/lpg/node127.html), but I'm unsure of
how accurate these are here (they cannot be for terminals making the
behaviour configurable).

As a developer of a terminal emulator (Termux), I think the behaviour
with backspace across newlines that the PicoLisp REPL expects is a
sensible one and is planning to introduce that behaviour there, so it
will at least work in one more terminal soon :).

A general solution working across more terminals would involve either
pulling in something heavyweight like readline/rlwrap as already
mentioned, or extending the REPL to use escape sequences to move the
cursor across lines without depending on backspace.

Fredrik