Not to derail this thread too much, but a RISC-V port would be a more
forward-looking prospect. Unfortunately, there aren't many commodity SoCs
available yet that can run a proper Linux; for now, qemu can be used for
emulation.

In terms of the growing hobbyist/robotics/IoT field, a PilOS port to
AArch64 (RISC also) like Raspberry Pi would help gain inertia in that
direction (which is also on my TODO list). The fundamental and dynamic
nature of Lisp would make it an appropriate language for that crowd.

I'm not so familiar with ISA development, however, given the open nature of
RISC-V, proper extensions could be developed (with funding...) to support
specific Lisp features at the hardware level like Lisp Machines of the past
or the PilMCU (FPGA)?

Sincerely,
Kevin