According to the GPL FAQ *technically* a dynamically linked object still
falls under GPL
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#GPLStaticVsDynamic

However it seems that not everyone agrees on that fundamentalist view:
https://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6366

As far as I know, there has not been any court ruling on such issues, so we
are a bit in the gray zone here.

In my personal opinion it will be okay if we use the readline library in
pil21, since it is a *library* and we are not making a 'derivative' work
out of it

Regards,
Davide