Hi Davide, Tomas,

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 10:07:44AM +0100, Tomas Hlavaty wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> On Sun 22 Nov 2020 at 09:22, Alexander Burger <a...@software-lab.de> wrote:
> > Yes, I want pil21 as a piece be completely "free", in the spirit of MIT.
>
> then it cannot depend on GPL library

I do not think so.

   The GPL series are all copyleft licenses, which means that any derivative
   work must be distributed under the same or equivalent license terms

In my understanding it is irrelevant how the library is linked, or the fact that
pil21 "depends" on it, as long as it is not distributing (modified (derived) or
not) parts of libreadline.

> if you combine MIT and GPL software in the same process, the combined
> work must conform to GPL

pil21 does not "combine" (and then distribute) libreadline in any way. It just
refers to the names of readline API functions in its source, which are later
compiled and linked.

☺/ A!ex