On Wednesday 12 September 2007 16:40:25 Francois wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thank you developpers, thanks a lot you have finaly done it !
>
>  I'm very pleased to see those kind of development tool: the power of
> vim (or emacs) with a very good gui: it rocks !
>
> Hope that your project will reach the mass and be one of the major dev
> tool.
>
> I have a few question regarding the plugins development philosophy.
> Vim has already more than thousand of plugins (they call them scripts)
> and some are very very good but sometimes lack of a good gui  to be
> easier to use.
>
> Do you think it will be useful or interesting to merge the quality of
> the most used vim scripts with the quality of pida gui ? My concern
> and perhaps some of the vim and/or pida users is to keep the same
> tools and not to duplicate them.
>
> I think it's one of the major goal of PIDA (not to re-think the weel),
> isn't' it ?
>
> Look at snippets, project, source code browser, ... vim scripts: some
> are famous and with the power and simplicity of PIDA'GUI I think it
> willbe beautiful.
>
> But perhaps this mail should have been send to vim mailing list. Sorry
> for the un-technical  terms of my mail: I'm not a developer just a
> happy user !
>
> Keep going this way your job is already very very good !
> Thank you again for that.
>
> Have a nice day
>
> Francois

Thank-you for your kind words.

About using Vim plugins, this is certainly possible, and any developer is free
to write and release any PIDA plugins on the community site, and they will be
available for download in the PIDA plugin manager.

The reason that we have not done this much in the past is that Vim-script
based plugins will only be available to Vim users of PIDA. This has good
points and bad points. Good: it will (as you say) leverage existing Vim code,
and bad: Vim-only.

In order to achieve things like this and reach the masses, we will need a lot
more developers. We all have heavy working schedules and PIDA is a spare-time
activity.

Please help wherever you can: dev, bugs, docs etc etc.

Thanks again,

Ali